Looking for a Move Out Solution? Moving to a new place can get complicated and stressful quite quickly. There are actually a lot of ways to make your move 100% easier. Checking out moving tips online and enlisting the help of a moving concierge are effective ways to make your move easier. Using this MovingWaldo’s moving dashboard to simplify your move is a great way to start. Keep reading if you’re interested in making your move the easiest it can be.
1. Book a Moving Company, Moving Truck Rental, Or Moving Container
Booking a reliable moving company is a great way to make sure your move is done correctly and smoothly. While it is way easier to hire a moving company for your move than to move yourself with a moving truck, a moving truck rental is much cheaper. With a moving truck rental you have control over your belongings and the time of your move, but you’ll have to drive the truck yourself. A moving container is also a great option that is slightly cheaper than hiring a moving container. With a moving container, you won’t have to worry about driving and you’ll also have a lot more space to fit your belongings for the price.
There should always be enough time between the booking and the actual moving day:
- Book a moving company at least 12 weeks before your move
- Book a moving container at least 8 weeks before your move
- Book a moving truck at least 4 weeks before your move
2. Get Moving Supplies
Where to get moving supplies
- Your local hardware store
- The moving company you will hire
- The truck rental company you will hire
- Your local big-box store
- MovingWaldo’s online moving shop
- Get free boxes from warehouses, restaurants and retail stores or ask your entourage and neighbours
List of must-have moving supplies
- Boxes: Options include cardboard or plastic. Cardboard boxes are more cost-effective but plastic boxes are easier to transport and are more durable
- Protective materials: Use bubble wrap, packing paper or wrapping paper when packing fragile items. Heavy-duty tape is a must to protect your boxes from water and insects. A mattress cover is also recommended to protect from water, bed bugs, and dirt
- Other accessories: Get the best permanent marker you can find to make sure your boxes are labelled correctly. Have a standard tool box on hand for disassembling furniture and other items along the way
- Your local big-box store
- Cleaning supplies: Gloves, a multi-surface cleaner, a mop, a broom and a heavy duty sponge are the basic cleaning supplies you will need to leave your old place clean and begin cleaning your new one
Things you own that can be used as moving supplies
- Empty suitcases
- Plastic containers
- Clothes (for wrapping)
- Your dresser (for clothes only!)
3. Change Your Address
Changing your address ensures that you do not miss important letters, packages, and updates when you move. It also ensures that the necessary parties get updated about your whereabouts if they need to contact you. Begin your address changing process a minimum of one month before you move.
Book a Move-In and Move-Out Cleaning
When moving to your new place, you’ll most probably want it to be clean. A move- out cleaning is a nice gesture to the new occupants of the property. A move-in cleaning is a great way of making sure your new place is perfectly clean when you move in. These move-in and move-out cleaning services have experienced, professional cleaners that will give you a deeper, higher level of cleaning that you may not have the time to do yourself. They usually include the cleaning of the floors, whipping down of the most used surfaces, bathroom cleaning, kitchen cleaning and general dusting all over.
4. Get Home Insurance Quotes
Home insurance is very important to prevent you from spending large amounts of money in case your house gets accidentally damaged. Choosing an insurance company is not an easy task. You definitely want to get multiple quotes to avoid overpaying. It’s also a good idea to shop around as each insurance company has different packages. You can conduct your own online research or use MovingWaldo to easily compare insurance quotes. This will allow you to make the right choices and also make your move easier.
5. Find a Reliable Internet Provider
When moving, you’ll either need to transfer your internet service or get a new provider. Everyone needs a reliable internet provider, but with so many to choose from, finding the right one can be tricky.
When searching for the best internet providers, look for:
- Bundling options
- A variety of speeds
- Multiple package options
- Great customer service
- Good customer ratings (over 3.5 stars)
- Reasonable pricing (compare with other providers)
6. Put Your Stuff in Storage
When moving you might need to put your stuff in storage, especially if you’re in between houses. You may also realize that you have too much stuff and that it won’t fit in your new home. Storing your belongings keeps them safe and retrievable whenever you need them.
When searching for the best storage units, look for:
- Excellent online reviews (over 4 stars)
- A variety of storage unit sizes
- Climate controlled storage
- 24h access
- Drive-up access or indoor storage
- Online payment options
- Gated and fenced facilities
- 24h camera surveillance
7. Keep Your Home Clean Year Round with a House Cleaning Service
There are many benefits of hiring a cleaning service year round. With a cleaning service, you can experience a soothing environment without having to do all the hard work. You can save all that time you would be cleaning and do something else instead. A clean environment also means less germs and so fewer chances of getting sick. Scrubbi was voted as one of the best house cleaning companies in Toronto by MovingWaldo in 2021. They are a reliable source for your cleaning needs.
Using an online moving dashboard for your move makes it a whole lot easier. You now know how to find the best resources for your move. Don’t forget to tip your movers between 10% and 15% per mover. And most importantly, stay safe during your move by letting professionals handle the tasks you aren’t completely comfortable with.